1. Sift together flour and baking powder in a small bowl and set aside.
2. In an another bowl, add egg white and beat for a few seconds with a electric hand mixer. Add lemon juice and resume mixing for 1 minute. Then add sugar and continue mixing for 2 minutes more. Bowl upside down, the meringue should not slide out. Set aside.
2. In an another bowl, add egg yolk, sugar, mayonnaise and milk. Mix with an egg whisk. Then add the sifted flour, and mix with a spatula.
3. Using a rubber spatula, scoop out 20~25% of the meringue and add it to the egg yolk mixture. Mix well with the spatula. Then fold in the remaining meringue until almost combined (do not overmix).
4. Grease your round ring molds (I used 10cm dia and 4 to 5cm high.) or line them with baking paper.
5. Heat a nonstick skillet over the lowest heat and add a little bit of oil to coat the surface. Place the ring mold(s) on the skillet.
6. Fill each mold with the batter. Add about 1/2 tbsp water in the skillet and cover with a lid. Heat on the lowest heat for 5 to 6 minutes.
7. Remove the lid once, slide the ring mold off the pancakes and gently flip the pancake. Add 1/2 tbsp water and cover again with the lid. Heat it for another 5 to 6 minutes.
8. Serve the pancake with your favourite toppings (e.g. butter, maple syrup, whipped cream, matcha powder, ice cream, honey or any fruits!). Tadam!
How to check if the pancakes are done inside, poke the pancake with a bamboo skewer. The skewer should be without any batter sticking to them:)
20g white chocolate (optional) - cut into small pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 180℃ degree.
2. Place flour, black cocoa powder and sugar in a food processor and process to mix, then add butter, water and milk. Re-process the machine and run until blended well (until the dough turns like a crumbly ball).
3. Transfer the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead it to shape into a circle. Roll out the dough to about 0.3 to 0.5 cm thickness square shape and cut them into a long stick shape using the knife.
4. Place them on the baking sheet you prepared.
5. Bake them for about 10 to 12 mins. Let the pocky cool down completely.
If you want to decorate with white chocolate
6. Melt the white chocolate in a hot water bath (50℃), dip the end of the pocky (about 1cm) into chocolate. Let the excess drip off, and place on the plate. Let stand until chocolate is set.
1. Add bread flour, salt in a heatproof bowl. Add boiling water and mix well, using spatula until uniformly blended. Cover with plastic wrap until use. Or you can leave it in the fridge overnight.
2. Add all bread ingredients and the yudane from #1 in the pan of your bread machine (as per manufacturer instructions) add yeast in the yeast compartment. Select dough cycle and press start.
3. When the dough cycle is complete, remove and place it on a floured surface. Punch the dough down and cover it with a wet cloth. Take bench time for 15~20min.
4. Grease the pan (I used a 18x18cm square mold). Punch the dough down, divide them into even-sized pieces (16 pieces) and place them in the mould. Note : leave some space between balls, the dough will double in size. Cover and let the dough rise in a warm place (or an oven at 35℃) until the dough has doubled in volume for about 40 to 60 min depend on season.
5. Sprinkle the flour lightly over the leavened bread and pre-heat the oven to 170℃. Reduce to 160℃ and bake it for about 15 min.
6. Remove from the oven and let it cool down on a wire rack.
7. Decorate the bread as you want :-) Black bread is tasty with whipped cream, strawberries jam, nutella, etc. Of course the butter too! Enjoy!
1. Cut a piece of parchment paper to cover the bottom and sides of a jelly-roll pan.
2. Sift flour into a medium bowl and set aside. Pre-heat the oven to 190C degree.
3. Beat eggs with sugar in a medium bowl until creamy (about 3 min) with an electric hand mixer.
4. Add the sifted flour and mix gently using spatula or a egg wisk until moistened.
5. In a small cup, add butter and milk and microwave for about 15 sec at 600W, take a small amount of the mixture from #4 and add it into the butter mixture.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared sheet pan, Flatten the surface with the spatula. Tap gently the bottom of the pan to punch out the air. Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
7. Remove from the oven, immediately loosen the edges of the cake from the pan gently. Flip the cake upside down. Peel off the parchment paper you just used for baking (I actually use printing paper sheets). Cover and let the cake cool completely.
Making strawberry syrup
In a small cooking pan, add strawberry, sugar and lemon juice. Heat over medium heat and cook until strawberries are softened. Set aside.
Making the cream layer
8. Combine sugar (40g) and heavy cream in a bowl and whip until soft-peak with a electric hand mixer. Set aside. In an another bowl, add mascarpone and sugar (50g). Whip until soft and smooth. Add gradually whipped cream into a mascarpone and mix well.
9. Add the strawberry (450g) and mix together.
Finalize the Tiramisu
10. Place the sponge cake at the bottom of the serving plate you are going to use. Then spread the strawberry syrup onto the cake evenly. Pour the cream mixture from #8 over the sponge cake. Sprinkle shaved white chocolate over the cream.
11. Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight before serving.
1. Remove the cream layer inside the oreo cookies, process the cookies to a fine crumb in a food processor.
2. In a small bowl, sift the flour and then add the oreo fine crumbs from #1 and mix. Set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan, add water, milk, salt, butter and sugar. Heat until the butter is melted and the mixture start boiling (remove from the heat just before it boils). Add the flour mix from #2 and mix them to combine evenly using a wooden spoon. The dough will lump and pull away from the saucepan easily.
4. Spoon the dough into a pastry piping bag fitted with a star tip. Add enough oil to a saucepan and heat to about 180°C over medium heat.
5. Squeeze the dough into the hot oil and cut it to release into the oil with scissors. Fry the churros on each side.
6. Transfer them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain, roll in sugar all sides to coat. Repeat this process with the remaining dough.
1. Add water in a medium cooking pot and bring it to almost boiled. Once there, remove from the heat and slowly add water to reduce the heat to about 80℃ degree. Immediately add dissolved katakuriko/potato starch and mix.
2. Then gently place the eggs in the hot water using a ladle.
3. Cover and leave for about 15 min (for 2 eggs), about 20 min (for 4 eggs). Remove from the hot water and leave it about 1 minute. Then put in the cold water. (No need to add ice.)
4 Crack the egg into a serving plate (or bowl) and pour the sauce. Enjoy!
Also, serve over udon, ramen, rice, or donburi with any kind of food.
For the sauce :
In a small cooking pot, add all the sauce ingredients and bring it to a boil. Simmer for about 1 min. Let it cool, then chill in the fridge until you need.
You can enjoy onsen tamago either cold or warm, as your choice:)