1. In a large bowl, vegetables cut to matchsticks and then add katakuriko/potato starch and flour. Coat vegetables well with flour.
2. For tempura batter, add beaten egg in the medium bowl, then add ice water and vinegar, mix them. Pour the batter on the vegetable and mix lightly.
3. Prepare a large plate lined with paper towels (to drain the fried kakiage after pulling them from the oil).
4. Add oil to a large saucepan to reach a depth of about 5 to 6 cm. Heat up to 170°C at medium-high heat. Place a few battered vegetables into the hot oil gently. While the batter fries, shape it in the oil with chopsticks so that it sticks nicely to the veggies until firm. Fry kakiage until they are golden brown, about two minutes on each side. Drain excess oil on paper towel.
5. Serve kakiage just with salt (or better : green tea salt) or with tempura dipping sauce.
Green tea salt : Just mix salt and green tea powder
Note : You can make kakiage with green onion, pumpkin, potato, corn, shrimp, mushroom, edamame etc.. as you like!
Optional : Kakiage donburi (Kakiage rice bowl)
6. Prepare rice in a small or medium size bowl and put kakiage on top. Pour the reheated tempura dipping sauce on top of the kakiage. Ready to serve!