1 pack Japanese curry sauce - add the paste and adjust seasoning to taste (more or less according to your taste.)
3 cup of Japanese rice - wash and drain
1. Prepare the rice according to your rice cooker's instructions.
2. Heat the oil in the pressure cooker pot over medium heat and add garlic. Cook it for about 1 to 2 mins and add the cubed beef, onions and carrots. Cook until the onions are soft, for about 5 mins.
3. Add bay leaf, beef stock cube and enough water to cover vegetables and beef, then bring to a boil.
4. Lock the lid on the pressure cooker and bring to pressure over medium heat for 15 to 20 mins. Turn off the heat and let the pressure come down naturally.
5. Open the lid, and add more water if necessary.
6. Add the curry sauce cubes one by one, stirring constantly. Add the sauce cubes (the number really depends on your taste) until the mixture is thick enough. Stir the curry sauce cubes to dissolve them.
7. Serve hot with steamed Japanese rice.
If you don't use a pressure cooker pot, do the same, but cook longer, until the beef is tender instead of 15 mins.
Japanese curry sauce are labeled with their level of spice.
Amakuchi : sweet and suitable for young children
Chukara : Medium spicy - ok for children who like spicy food.
Karakuchi : More suitable for adult who love hot and spicy!
I use a Chukara sauce for us and older kids and use Amakuchi for young ones.