1. In a cooking pot, heat vegetable oil until hot. Cook garlic and ginger until fragrant, then add the pork (or beef) and fry for a few minutes.
(Optional) Remove from the heat and roast with your cooking torch if you like roasted taste :)
2. Add carrot and onion and fry for a few more minutes.
3. Add the water (1.7L) and stir to combine. Cook over high heat and bring it to a boil. Once boiled, then simmer for about 10 minutes, adding the seasoning (hondashi powder, mirin, sugar and curry roux). Dissolve the roux completely. Make sure you stir once in a while so the curry will not get burnt on the bottom. Then pour the milk (or 300ml water, if you prefer just curry udon) and bring it to a boil. A dash of salt to taste if necessary.
5. Meanwhile bring a big pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, cook the udon until cooked through. Set aside.
6. Add cooked udon into the cooking pot and cook for about 5 minutes together with the curry soup. (Or you just serve the udon in a bowl and pour milk curry over.) Top with green onion (chopped) if you like.